The four committees of the NCRC and their sub-committees drive the efforts of the Newport City Renaissance Corporation (NCRC). The focus of these committees change over time, so we'll update this page as things change. The volunteers who give of their time, to attend these meetings and provide their knowledge and elbow grease, make the NCRC a success. The interconnections between these citizens, and the city, by way of businesses, affiliations and friendships are the life-blood of the organization.
We are always seeking individuals who would like to participate in the efforts of Downtown Newport City. Please read through the following committee information and contact the committees to join. Currently over 50 volunteers work on committee projects. Over the past year, volunteers contributed over 2500 hours of their time, to support projects and events around downtown Newport.
Design Committee (DES)
The Design Committee DC has a very active group of volunteers who are currently focused on the following topics, through sub-committees:
- Improving City design for Safer communities and streets.
- Our Town Slow it Down
- Downtown Beautification Program - originally created by Penny Thomas
- this program is an independently funded effort to help keep Downtown Newport beautiful and inviting
- Partnering with AARP to ensure that Downtown Newport is accessible to all residents.
- Seeking Grant opportunities to assist Newport City in improvements.
Monthly Meeting Details:
As of April 2016, the Design Committee will meet in conjunction with the EDC, which meets every 2nd Thursday of the month, 8a - 9a in the conference room of the Community Financial Services Group's office on the 2nd floor of the Hebard State Building. Sub-Committees meeting plans are determined by the members, guided by the mission statement.
Economic Development Committee (EDC)
The EDC has a very active group of volunteers who are currently focused on the following topics, through sub-committees:
- Workforce development - for Downtown Newport, the City and surrounding areas
- Existing Business Support and Development
- Including Newport Now!
- Business Welcome Packets
- Providing information on available resources, including land, existing commercial spaces, connections to financial resources via banking, NVDA, NCIC and more
- Positive By Nature
- Focused on positive news and marketing about downtown businesses
Monthly Meeting Details:
The EDC meets the 2nd Thursday of every month, 8a - 9a in the large conference room on the 2nd floor of the Hebard State Building on Main Street, NewportMeetings typically last for 60 minutes. Sub-Committees meeting plans are determined by the members, guided by the mission statement.
Marketing Committee (MKT)
This committee is focused on leveraging the NCRC's marketing reach, through the website, Facebook, and email blasts. To help distribute event information for Downtown businesses, and other organizations planning events in Downtown.
Monthly Meeting Details: not currently meeting
Organizational Committee (ORG)
This committee is focused on improved capacity planning and structure for the organization. The Board of the NCRC has taken on these tasks. This includes policy updated, planning, etc.
If you would like to attend one of the committee meetings and volunteer some time to a project that is important to you, we welcome you to join us.