The Newport Downtown Development Organization is a 501(c)6 non-profit community organization working to revitalize, preserve and promote historic downtown Newport as a strong and resilient economic hub, a livable and walkable community, and a vibrant social, recreational and cultural center for residents and visitors to enjoy.
Over the next few years, the organization’s strategic focus on developing a four- season outdoor recreational economy in Newport will inform all activities of the organization. This strategy:
• reflects a sustainable economic model that incorporates the values and authentic local culture of the northern Newport lifestyle and the Newport brand;
• balances the need for development with a desire to preserve and conserve natural assets;
• directly supports related businesses and organizations;
• creates new consumer markets for the area and encourages new business growth;
• provides increased public access to Newport’s magnificent international lake;
• attracts employers and families;
• supports individual and community health;
• and contributes to a high quality of life.
Why outdoor recreation?
The outdoor recreation economy accounts for 34,000 direct jobs and $2.5 billion in consumer spending in Vermont.
Newport’s landscape of forests, farms and the lake and their associated outdoor recreation opportunities – are a big reason why people choose to visit, live and work in Newport. To sustain and enhance the values of Newport’s quality of life and the experience of visitors to Newport, these assets must be carefully managed and promoted to realize their economic potential.