To make entry from Canada into the United States as smooth as possible, here are a few important tips:
1. You've several options for points of entry. Try the border crossing on the west side of Lake Memphremagog at Highwater, QC/North Troy, VT (closest to Jay Peak Resort) and on the east side of Lake Memphremagog at Eastern Township Autoroute 55/US Interstate 91 at Derby Line; the Dufferin St entrance at Rock Island, Stanstead QC/Main Street Derby Line; and the Beebe entrance at Beebe, Quebec.
2. Since June 1, 2009, anyone who wishes to enter the U.S. by land or sea ports of entry will be required to present a valid passport/passport card, NEXUS card, enhanced license or another document approved by the U.S. that indicates their identity and citizenship.
A Canadian driver's license PLUS meet the new law requirements. For more information CLICK HERE.
For information about getting a Vermont Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) Click here.
3. If you are not a U.S. or Canadian citizen, you must have a valid passport and may have to purchase a visa in US dollars.
4. To speed up your entry, have your ID ready when you arrive at the border crossing.
5. Be forthcoming about the fact you are coming for a visit to Newport and indicate how long you plan to be in the U.S. If it’s just for the day state this; if it’s overnight, state where you plan to stay and when you will be returning.
6. Do not attempt to bring illegal drugs into the U.S. Do not bring in firearms or weapons of any kind unless you are licensed for such things.
7. If you have a criminal record that prohibits you from entering the U.S., do not try to enter.
8. For US Citizens returning from Canada to US click here for pertinent and current information.
9. Traveling with Minors (children under 16): All children need proof of citizenry which could be passport/passport card, etc. OR birth certificate (copy is OK). For those children traveling with only one parent, grandparents (and no parents) or others, you will need a notarized letter of permission. Click here for details entering Canada and click here for details entering US with children.
Welcome! Bienvenue !
To make entry from US into Canada as smooth as possible, click here for some helpful tips. Enjoy a world away full of cultural history associated with Vermont that's only minutes away. A bientot !