The Newport City Renaissance Corporation (NCRC) was founded in July 2007 as an independent non-profit organization the same year Newport received Vermont Downtown designation. Five fast years later, in 2012, for the second year in a row, NCRC received national accreditation from National Main Street Program meeting the commercial district revitalization performance standards set by the National Main Street Center and recognizing its team of over 100 volunteers outstanding performance as a catalyst for economic development in downtown Newport, VT. On 26 November 2012, Newport's status as a Vermont Designated Downtown was renewed for another five years (2012 - 2017).
- Newport is 1st in VT to receive grant from American Institute of Architects (AIA) for a Regional/Urban Design Assitance Team (R/UDAT) (2009)
- Newport is 1st in the state of VT to adopt form-based code streamlining the permit process for developers while maintaining the fabric of the downtown's architecture (2010)
- Leading advocacy for expansion and enhancement of the Newport State Airport (EFK) (2007-ongoing)
- Leading establishment of a Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) that includes Newport and surrounding communities (2010-2013)
- Newport City Renaissance Corporation is one of only 6 out of 23 VT downtowns to received accreditation from National Main Street Program (2012) and one of only 5 in VT to receive accreditation in 2011 and 2012
- Read the Changemaker. Playbook. 2011.
- Newport was awarded an unprecedented CommunityMatters grant from Vermont's Orton Family Foundation for a workshop on how to work together more effectively and productively as a community with government and others. See attachments below for useful information on the strategic doing.
The NCRC works to advance and enhance the economic environment, development of a cohesive and welcoming City design and promoting Newport City as a destination for tourism and its competitive edge for business investment.
More business. More jobs. More customers. Newport is Open for Business.
Newport City Renaissance Corporation Board of Directors
- Rob Hodgkins. Jay Peak Resort. Chair.
- Katy Kavanagh. Alexandra's Kitchenware and Gifts. Vice Chair.
- Terrie McQuillen. Community National Bank. Secretary/Treasurer.
- Ross MacCormack. Air Canada (retired).
- Steve Breault. Newport Natural Market & Cafe.
- Aime Conrad Bellavance. Fred's Plumbing and Heating.
Newport City Renaissance Corporation's Committee Chairs
- ECONOMIC RESTRUCTURING: Mercedes Pour-Previti. Community College of Vermont.
- DESIGN: Jen Black. Consultant.
- PROMOTION: Steve Breault. Newport Natural Market & Cafe.
Newport City Renaissance Corporation Staff:
- Patricia M Sears. Executive Director.
Information. Involvement. Contact. Newport City Renaissance Corporation (email@example.com or 802 323 1056).